Thursday, November 8, 2012

Home Sweet Oklahoma

In July of 2000, I moved to Oklahoma. I was 12 years old and about to start junior high. My biggest concern was making new friends before school started.
Despite my fears, I was thrown a "Welcome to Enid" pool party at the local country club! It was a very sweet gesture, but also a little awkward attending your own party when you don't know a soul. Fortunately, I was given the "gift of gab" and I've never met a stranger. By the end of the day I was flipping off the diving board and making plans with new friends.

These are the memories that came to mind over the weekend. One of my best friends got married. I met her during that summer and we've been close ever since. It's cliche to say this, but it really does seem like yesterday. I remember going to Hastings in our pajamas to rent movies, pigging out on Oreo's and ice cream,  talking about our crushes and plenty of sleepless sleepovers. I remember when we both tried out and made the cheerleading squad together. We were so excited to wear our uniforms to school!
I can even recall when we got our first cell phones. We both had those huge Nokias that you could play Snake on. We would call each other back and forth just so we could test out our new ringtones!

These are just a glimmer of the times we spent together, but I will never forget the feeling of being accepted. Lindsay was one of my first friends, and not once did she ever question or judge why I had moved to Oklahoma in the first place.


Although I've moved back to Birmingham and have always referred to it as home, Oklahoma has a part of me, too. I flew back last weekend to be a bridesmaid in Lindsay's wedding and it really sank in just how much I miss it and the people. It was so amazing to be a part of the ceremony. From the rehearsal dinner, to doing our hair and makeup, to watching Lindsay and Mark say their vows to one another, I'm grateful I was able to witness it.

Despite the ups and downs in life, I'm still a romantic and still believe in Happily Ever After. I still hope to meet the love-of-my-life one day and also win the lottery... Which one is more realistic? Who knows! But I do know God presents the situations in your life to shape who you are. He places the people in your life for the same reason. Be happy for those around you. Be Happy for yourself.

"Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes."
Hugh Prather

 Bride and Bridesmaids!

 GO POKES!

 Me & Maggie - Another one of my 1st Oklahoma friends

 Pre-wedding cheers to calm a few nerves...

 One last touch up!

Still one of my closest friends, Collins. 
We were a "couple" back in the 7th grade!


No comments:

Post a Comment