Sunday, December 9, 2012

Memory Lane

Studies have proven that "Blue Monday" actually exists. If you're unfamiliar with the term, you must have magic coffee beans. For most people, it's the hardest day of the week. Your weekend is over, your work has just begun and Friday is too far away.

Every morning on the way to work, I try to take a second to pray. I turn my music down and just talk to God. I ask him to help me get through whatever my day consists of. Whether it's work related or something personal, I take those few minutes to get everything off my chest.

With the holidays here, "Blue Monday" seems to last a little longer. I can't help but to get down. Being back in Birmingham has been amazing. The decision to move home was the right one and has brought many great things my way. On the other hand, it reminds me of the life I used to have here. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but memories always flood back this time of year. It's during the holidays that you make those memories, and I can't help but to miss them.

When half your life is spent with one family, and the other with another, you build twice as many memories and traditions. Looking at it that way, I shouldn't be complaining! But have you ever driven down an unfamiliar road, and then all of a sudden, think "Oh wait! I know where I am now!" 
I get that feeling a lot. I'll be driving somewhere, and BAM, a memory pops up. You feel great for that one second, but then you miss the meaning behind it. 

I remember going to the Galleria on Christmas Eve and riding the carousel, attending the candle light service at our church, and getting to choose one present under the tree to open before going to bed. 
I'll never forgot my last Christmas morning in Birmingham. I came downstairs to see the one present I had wanted most - a mountain bike. It was a silver and black Diamond Back and it was beautiful. I actually still have it!

Over the weekend, I ran across some old photo albums and found a "Christmas Memories Book" my mother wrote in each year. It has sections to write about Holiday Visits, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. 
Christmas Dinner, Special Gifts and Things We Want to Remember, along with spaces for pictures.

As I read my way through, I want to share with you the last entry my mother wrote under 
Things We Want to Remember:

Samantha screams when she saw the mountain bike that Santa left!!!
Samantha in her third Galleria Lighting Ceremony.
Samantha in her first Nutcracker as a Cake Carrier!
Lynlee was a Trumpeteer in the same 2 performances!
New Year's Eve!! Quail Run Friends Party!!
The adults partied at the Pritchett's home and the kids at the Holmes' house. Close to midnight we all came "here" for hot chocolate, champagne and FIREWORKS!

For the first few things listed, I seem to be the common theme. But doesn't that sound perfect? Maybe it just does to me, because I remember all of it. The feeling, the smells, even the hot chocolate and fireworks. 

Now that we're all older, times have changed. It's sad... but many of those families are no longer together, or have lost loved ones. Most of the neighborhood friends have moved away are grown apart. But I have no doubt, they remember those years spent together. 

I've had many Christmas celebrations since then, and each one has a special meaning. I am beyond fortunate to spend it with the family(ies) God intended me to be with. 

Christmas- that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but it will be a day of remembrance- a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.
-Augusta E. Rundel



No comments:

Post a Comment