Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Time Has Arrived

Tomorrow is the big day! I will be walking back into the news station for my "second first day" on the job. Although I've worked there before, I am still pretty anxious. I will have a whole new set of responsibilities to take on, as well as a whole new show to produce. The format will be completely different than what I'm used to, but I think the change will be right up my alley.


Starting a new job can usually be stressful, but luckily I've had a WHOLE week off to relax and regroup. During my temporary unemployment, I took a road trip to visit a friend. I had the time of my life and got to explore a new place that was absolutely beautiful with a great atmosphere. I also indulged in WAY too much delicious food... The best part of any vacation! It's been great to have time off, but I am the type of person that does better busy. When I have too much down time, I get stir crazy. I'd much rather be on the go all week, then have the weekend to recoup. I say this now... I'm sure I'll be begging for a vacation in no time!


I also got to spend some time with my parents. We had dinner to celebrate the last day at my old job and the start of a new one! A home cooked meal and champagne was plenty... But of course my mom and dad had to outdue themselves... They surprised me with an iPad! I was absolutely shocked! They figure I will get a lot of use out of it. They also said they were getting tired of me saying "Everyone at the station has one!" They even went as far as to personalize the back of it with:
 SAMANTHA A. RUSSELL 
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER 
It also came with a cover in my signature color... PINK! 



As for today, we celebrated Mother's Day of course! I baked my mom a Mandarin Orange cake with Pineapple frosting and bought her a new tennis outfit! My dad just celebrated a birthday as well, so I went with the always "safe" gift: an Alabama shirt. I have a lot to be thankful for today. I may not be a mother, but God has blessed me with THREE. Who can say they have three moms?! I have my birth mother, who chose to give me up for adoption versus the alternative, I have my adoptive mother who will always be "Mommy" to me, and then I have my Godmother, Linda, better known as L. Each woman has a significant role in my life, and I can only hope I can do the same for my children some day. 

 Mandarin Orange Cake
(Can't take credit for the cookie...it's from Panera!)

I also took time today to stop by my mother's grave site. It was a long overdue visit. I knelt down and just talked to her for a little bit. I told her how much I wish she was still here, how a day doesn't go by that I don't miss her, and that even though she chose to leave this earth on her own terms, I don't hold it against her. The anger and guilt have all been forgiven. I know she looks down on me everyday and watches me grow. I see her everywhere I go. Whether it's the car she used to drive, or even just the smell of the lavender perfume she wore. She was a great mother, and I will always love her. 

Rebecca Conger Russell
Loving Mother


On a lighter note, I feel like tomorrow is the first day of school... I even have my outfit already picked out! It's going to be a very early start, I have to be in at 7. Good thing I have my new Tassimo to whip up a latte to go! As for now, it's time to wind down, thank God for the continuous love and blessings he has brought my way, and get a good night's sleep! Wish me luck and have a wonderful week!


"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother."
Oprah Winfrey


2 comments:

  1. Keep us posted on how your first day went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm even more impressed with you now, after reading this. I'm in awe, young lady. And, wiping tears... Sincerely and with love, Darlene W.

    ReplyDelete